from reinforcement of concrete with basalt materials
Reinforcement of concrete with basalt fiber and / or reinforcement allows to improve the strength characteristics of the finished structure, road surface, hydraulic structure, coastline, runway and other objects.
Reinforcement with basalt fiber consists in adding it to the concrete mixture at a stage while this mixture is still dry to break the fiber bundles into individual monofilaments and distribute them evenly throughout the volume of the mixture.
The application of rebar practically does not differ from the traditional work schedule.
Effective 3D reinforcement
Basalt fiber provides micro-level reinforcement, creating 74 million points of reinforcement in every cube of concrete for every kilogram of additive. No other reinforcing material can boast it.
Uniform volume distribution
Basalt fiber in the process of pouring and hardening concrete does not delaminate in the mixture (it does not rise or fall, unlike steel or PP fiber), has zero buoyancy in this environment.
Increase in concrete strength up to + 55%
According to the experience we have, the strength increase in fiber-reinforced concrete is up to 55% relating (to) an unreinforced sample. It is important that the fiber is well distributed and mixed evenly. The amount of water should be increased a bit, while the solution will retain the required consistency.
Fiber reinforced concrete is easy
Do not be afraid to use basalt fiber and rebar. It is really effective and easy to use.
Recommendations for the use
of basalt fiber
To prevent the appearance of microcracks and shrinkage cracks in concrete and screeds, we recommend adding 0.6–1.0 kg of basalt fiber per 1 m³ of the mixture.
To obtain a full-fledged concrete reinforcement (increasing the tensile and compressive strength of concrete), in general cases, we recommend adding basalt fiber at the rate of 1% by weight of the binder materials (cement). In terms of the volume of ready-mixed concrete, this will be approximately 3 kg of fiber per 1 m³. This proportion is also suitable for preventing the appearance of shrinkage microcracks, accelerating the maturing of concrete, reducing the number of rejects (chips, cracks, etc.)
Mixtures for structural products with no heat treatment
Technobasalt® Fiber: length — 12 or 24 mm, moisture content — 1%, sizing type — T10.
Dosage of fiber: from 1 kg per m³ of mixture till 1% by weight of cement.
Type of concrete mixer: forced action.
Type of the fiber introduction: uniform dosing into the dry mixture.
Heat-treated mixtures for structural products
- Technobasalt® Fiber: length — 12 or 24 mm, humidity — 1%, sizing type — T5.
- Dosage of fiber: from 1 kg/m³ of mixture to 1% by cement weight.
- Type of concrete mixer: forced action.
- Type of the fiber introduction: uniform dosing into the dry mixture.
for the basalt-fiber-reinforced concrete preparation
A. For stationary concrete mixing units
1. We recommend preparing the basalt-fiber-concrete mixture in forced-action concrete mixing plants (BSU).
2. To evenly distribute the basalt fiber throughout the entire volume of the concrete mixture, we recommend introducing the fiber when feeding sand and crushed stone to the BSU belt by gradual dosing. Fiber feeding can be done both automatically and manually.
3. We recommend increasing the mixing time of the basalt concrete mixture from 45 to 90 seconds to achieve a uniform distribution of the basalt fiber in the mixture and break the bundles into separate monofilaments.
4. It is not recommended adding basalt fiber to the concrete mix after adding water. This can lead to the formation of lumps and hedgehogs.
B. For on-site concrete mixers
1. Add dry sand to the rotary mixer and then gradually introduce basalt fiber with continuous stirring.
2. With constant stirring, add cement and then crushed stone.
3. It is recommended to set the optimal time for mixing basalt fiber with sand experimentally on your own and then use this time rate later.
4. After the fibers are evenly distributed throughout the volume, separated into individual fibers and all components are completely mixed, add water.
1. Basalt fiber belongs to the group of hardly combustible materials, it is explosion-proof material. In the process of its application and operation, there is no release of toxic substances. The dust generated during the use of basalt fiber does not contain free silicon dioxide.
2. To protect the respiratory system from fibrous dust, it is necessary to use respirators of the “Petal” type.
3. It is recommended to use dermatological agents in accordance with GOST 12.4.068 as a preventive protection for the skin of the hands.
How is it done
Examples of concrete reinforcement
Excellent reinforcing properties of Technobasalt® Fiber allow it to be used in cement-concrete coatings even with very high strength requirements – in the construction of helipads and runways.
Sunshine Skyway Bridge
The Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Florida (USA) was rebuilt with basalt fiber and Technobasalt® rebar.
Help with calculations
With the efforts of the Technobasalt team and together with numerous design institutes, we have brought together the entire range of data necessary both for understanding the properties of the material and directly for performing design calculations.
You can download this guide using this link
In this brochure, we have collected technical solutions that will help you in the design of concrete structures and give you a better understanding of the using basalt reinforcing materials specifics.
You can download this brochure here
01010, Ukraine, Kyiv
Omelyanovycha Pavlenko 4/6
Technobasalt Invest LLC
+380 44 280 93 61
+380 67 557 07 61